It is a very common misconception that there is no techniques for managing the increasing stress levels of today. But a simple realization of the fact that we are the ones who can control our life is a very effective method of stress management. Stress management basically deals with taking charge of our emotions, our schedule, our thoughts, our way of dealing with our problems as well as our environment. The main focus should be to lead a balanced life where we have sufficient time for relationships, work, fun as well as relaxation.
- The first and foremost way of dealing with our stress is the identification of the source which is causing stress in our life .it is not that easy to identify the source of stress in our life as we generally tend to overlook the stress inducing feelings, behaviours as well as the thoughts. In order to identify the actual sources those are causing stress in our lives, we should try and have a close look at our attitude, habits as well as excuses. It is necessary for us to take responsibility of the role which is being played by us in maintaining and creating our stress level, there is full possibility that the stress level will remain beyond our control.
- We can also start a stress journal which would be very helpful to us in identifying the sources of stress in our lives and our ways of dealing with each one of them. Every time we are stressed, a record of it should be made in the journal. Patterns as well as common themes would start to get visible to us with the help of the daily log that we have kept. The journal should contain points such as the sources of our stress, how we felt at that particular moment of time both emotionally as well as physically, our response and the strategy that we adopted to make our self feel better.
- A look should be taken at our present way of dealing with the stress. The stress journal can prove to be quite useful in that respect. Also it is very necessary to know whether our strategies of coping with the stress are unhealthy or healthy, unproductive or helpful.
Following are some of the unhealthy ways of dealing with our stress:
- Too much of drinking
- Usage of drugs or pills for relaxation
- Undereating or overeating
- Excessive sleeping
- Sitting in front of the computer or television for hours altogether
- Withdrawal from family ,friends and other activities
Four strategies of managing our stresses in an effective manner are:
- Avoid the stress that is unnecessary such as avoiding people who cause stress to us and taking control of our environment.
- Learn to Alter the situation like feelings should be openly expressed and not kept inside.
- Adapt to the stressor that includes reframing our problems, adjusting our standards and focussing on the positives.
- Accept the stressor such as we should not try to control the things that are not under our control and we should always share our feelings.