There are a variety of complications of diabetes some of which are also dire. Many problems are caused due to diabetes to the nerves as well as the blood flowing through our blood vessels that are responsible for providing energy to our every organ in the body. Every organ in the human body is affected because of these two mentioned problems. When the levels of blood glucose are not maintained due to the ineffective self care, it can give rise to such problems. This results into several diabetes complications.
The complications can arise with the heart, eyes, feet, the kidney and a variety of other parts of the human body. Since the blood flow is restricted during a complication or some kind of a problem, the body takes time to heal. Care has to be taken of the body by a diabetic patient otherwise the body can fall apart at a rapid rate and can even lead to death. The major treatment of diabetes is only self care. There are certain things to be done by a diabetic on a regular basis. Millions of people around the globe are living a very healthy life even while suffering from this disease by doing the appropriate self care which is a must in case of diabetes.
A person suffering from diabetes has the same risk of having a heart attack as the person who has suffered from a heart attack before. Both the women as well as men who are suffering from diabetes are at an increased risk. Even the typical signs of a heart attack may be absent.
Some of the complications being faced by the patients suffering from diabetes are:
- Blood vessels supplying to the feet as well as the legs can be damaged
- Eye disease termed as the diabetic retinopathy
- Ulcers or foot sores resulting in amputation
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol levels
- Kidney failure as well as the kidney disease known as the diabetic nephropathy
- Macular edema
- Damage can be caused to the nerves resulting in numbness as well as pain in the patient’s feet
- Several other problems can be caused in the intestines and stomach, heart and other body organs
- Worsening of the patient’s eyesight which may even result into blindness
- Erection problems
- Female genital tract infections, urinary tract infections as well as infections of the skin
Medications recommended so as to prevent complications:
- An ACE inhibitor (or ARB) is often the first choice of the doctors for patients showing signs of kidney disease.ACE inhibitors include the enalapril, captopril, banazepril, perindopril, lisinopril, and ramipril.
- Abnormal cholesterol level can be treated with the help of Statin drugs.
Aspirin is used for treating diabetic patients who :
- Genetics as well as the family history.
- Poor diet as well as low levels of activity
- People above 45 years of age
- People having HDL cholesterol less than 35 mg/dL
- Triglyceride level higher than 250 mg/dL
- People with problem of High blood pressure
- People with a history of gestational diabetes.