Green Tea comes from the same plant from which normal tea is obtained. Scientifically known as Camellia Sinensis. Its the same tea but processed differently. The normal black tea is obtained by fermenting the tea leaves. This fermentation changes its color, flavour and raises the level of caffeine and tannin in it. Whereas, in case of Green Tea, the tea leaves are dried or slightly steamed but not fermented. This makes it look green when brewed and otherwise.
Recent scientific research has stated that the majority of the therapeutic benefits found in green tea are due to substances called Polyphenols, potent anti-oxidant compounds found in great numbers in green tea.
Unlike Black Tea, Green Tea has more antioxidants since the leaves are unfermented. Fermentation lowers the levels of antioxidant present in the final tea. There are numerous Green Tea benefits, this article explains the main benefits of green tea
Health benefit of green tea includes:
Many researchers are recognizing green tea benefits and the effect green tea may have reducing the risks of certain types of cancer. The active ingredients in the tea are polyphenols, catechins, flavonoids, phytochemicals, and flavonols. Phytochemicals are believed to boost the immune system, decrease the risk of heart disease and cancer. Cathechins are antioxidants present in fruits and tea. Cathechins is bitter, kills food poisoning causing bacteria, and promotes dental health by stopping the formation of plaque. Flavonoids and flavonoids are also antioxidants. These substances are all good for everybody.
Mixing green tea extract with hot water or try it as a delicious iced tea! The liquid green tea extract is much more concentrated and contains far more polyphenols and catechins (where the health benefits of green tea come from) than any capsule does. It is also more bio-available to your system than the capsule form. Most capsule forms of green tea extract contain from 40-50% polyphenols. Green Tea Pure contains over 80% polyphenols! Green Tea Pure has such a high concentrations of the active ingredient, polyphenols, that you would need to drink 12 cups of tea to get the same as the amount found in one dose of Green Tea Pure.
- The free radicals created in body are responsible for corroding the body, i.e. for ageing and the related symptoms. The main job of anti oxidants is to neutralize the oxidants or free radicals present in the body and Green Tea is very rich in anti oxidants. The Catechin Polyphenols present in Green Tea are mainly responsible for the anti oxidizing effects, the most powerful among them being the Epigallocatechin Gallate. Thus, regular consumption of Green Tea can effectively delay symptoms of ageing.
- The main reason behind acceptance of any kind of tea, be it Green, Black or White, by human civilizations and its popularity, is its stimulating effect. This effect, again, is due to the Caffeine and Tannins present in it. Caffeine & Tannins, despite their adverse effects on health in the long run, are very good as stimulants. That is why; a cup of tea makes you feel fresh and highly energized. Tea is ideal to counter fatigue, laziness, sleepiness and lack of energy and to improve blood circulation. No doubt it is so popular with any kind of professionals, housewives and students.
- Researches show that people who regularly drink Green Tea do not fall prey to common bacterial and viral infections easily, and even if they do, it is far less frequently than those not consuming it. The message is clear. Green Tea boosts immunity. The Catechins present in Green Tea prevent bacterial and virus from attaching themselves to cell walls and thus infecting them. These Catechins also counter the toxins released by microbes. This anti microbial property also protects from bad breathe, dysentery, diarrhea, tooth decay, indigestion, flu, cough & cold, colitis etc. which are caused by microbial & fungal action.
- Another benefit from Green Tea is that it triggers contraction in muscles and tissues and tones up muscles and skin. Even if you do not wish to drink Green Tea, a mere mouthwash with this daily will cause sufficient contraction in gums to keep them firm and tight on teeth and thus prevent loosening and falling of teeth for long. Wash your hair with it and see them grow stronger each day.
- Apart from aging, free radicals are also responsible for causing certain types of cancer. The Catechins present in Green Tea neutralize these free radicals, prevent formation of carcinogens like nitrosamines and reduce the chances of cancer. Green Tea is now being clinically used in prevention of cancer, particularly those pertaining to colon, rectum, pancreas and intestines.
- Cholesterol comes in both good and bad forms. LDL is the bad form of cholesterol which can lead to atherosclerosis when it accumulates. The catechin in green tea helps to reduce the buildup of bad cholesterol. When you take green tea caffeine in the proper proportions it will help stimulate all the organs in your body in addition to your brain which will help refresh your body. It also contains a small amount of caffeine in each serving that can help to stimulate the skeletal muscles and make muscular contractions smoother. Green Tea has been seen effective in reducing cholesterol level to some extent, probably due to its alkaline nature.
- Certain components in Green Tea prevents thickening of blood, thereby reducing chances of Arterial Sclerosis, Thrombosis, Cardiac and Cerebral Strokes etc.
- For diabetic individuals green tea can help lower blood glucose levels. If diabetes continues its process for too long it will damage the vascular system which can lead to such diseases as arteriosclerosis and retinal hemorrhages. If not taken with sugar, the alkaline nature of Green Tea helps reduce the blood glucose level. Moreover, the anti oxidizing and astringent nature of its constituents ensure good health and better functioning of pancreas and thereby better secretion of insulin and resultant better decomposing and absorption of sugar. This helps keep diabetes away.
- Consumption of green tea can help treat diarrhea and kill the bacteria that can cause food poisoning. Many forms of bacteria that are bad for our bodies are sterilized with green tea.
- Green tea also helps lose weight by enhancing rate of metabolism and thereby faster consumption of fat storage of the body.
- You can prove this yourself. Just have a cup of hot green tea after rigorous exercise and within no time you will be ready for a few more sets. Further, it effectively counters muscular pain due to over exercise of muscles. Haven’t seen any athlete taking this? You must visit Japan & China then, where it is a popular drink among practitioners of Martial Arts.
- Green Tea is the best cure to get rid of hangovers and fatigue caused by consumption of alcoholic beverages and lack of sleep due to late night parties. A big glass of Green Tea with lemon, and lo, feels as if there was no hangover at all. Green Tea with Lemon juice is a very good and popular remedy to cut effect of alcohols effect instantly.
- A known cause of heart disease, stroke and other cardiovascular diseases is the damage done to the vascular system from high blood pressure. Green tea has been proven to be an effective way of lowering blood pressure.